Wednesday 18 July 2012

Two wheels good...

The bicycle is the technology that I find most useful, enables me to have the whole of London as my neighbourhood, and  gives me the greatest pleasure. A day when I don't make at least a small journey on it is the lesser for it. So I am a cycling partisan. I rarely ride on pavements, slow down and stop for pedestrians and stop for red lights. I am a self-confessed middle aged man in lycra (MAMIL) and cycle everywhere I can.
I know if I stop cycling for a while, over a few weeks I pile on the body weight. Cycling allows me to drink beer,  eat well and keep my waist measurement below 34. Cycling is my main form of physical activity because I am not disciplined enough to attend a gym regularly, and while I do run sometimes, I don't really like its purposelessness.
Good to see then, in The Lancet that there is  evidence that policies that encourage cycling (and walking and use of public transport) increase physical activity (in related research in the journal a substantial minority of ill health  - obesity tye 2 diabetes and heart disease of course, but also some cancer -  is attributed to a lack of activity).
Twenty mile an hour zones in residential areas, roads designed to limit car speed, intelligent cycle paths that understand how cyclists travel, and incentives to reduce city car use are not only moves that will encourage more people to cast off their Oyster cards, but will prevent some of that chronic disease that causes disability, dependence and eventually death. And you'll lose (or at least not gain) weight. The bicycle is a miracle weight loss technology, and you get the wind in your hair (if you have any: I don't), and the warmth of the sun on your skin, and its light in your eyes, and the vitamin D levels rise, and you see things you don't in a car or a tube, and your manor extends for miles, and...
I could go on, but it might just begin to sound just a bit rabid.




No comments:

Post a Comment